Community forums

Reducing lag spikes in Windows 8-10

# 1
27 Dec 2015 10:21
Lately I have seen a lot of players complain about lag spikes when playing UrT. This tutorial will reduce them from being 2-3 seconds long every other minute to having one spike every now and then. This worked for me and I had to some research to get it right to even be able to play games.

You need to have Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 as well as Intel wireless network card. In Windows 7 the cooperation between the Intel Wireless network card and the operating system itself is stable, in the later versions not so much. During my research I found that Intel has had issues with their wireless network card drivers since driver version 15.x.

Finding out which version your drivers are:
- In the Windows versions above you can press CTRL + Q to open the “search everywhere” function.
- Here type “Device Manager”, without the quotation marks.
- Click the arrow next to Network Adapters
- Right click the wireless network card adapter and select Properties
- Here click the Drivers tab
- Next to Driver Version there is a number series along the lines of xx.xx.x.x

- The latest versions for the adapters below is 18.21.0.2
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
  • Intel® Wireless-N 7260
If you have any other Intel Wireless network Adapter than the ones above, then you need to download the drivers suited for that Adapter.

Download the drivers from here:
Windows 8.1
downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25511/...are-for-Windows-8-1-

Windows 10
downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25513/...tware-for-Windows-10

- Once downloaded install as administrator.
# 2
27 Dec 2015 10:23
Changing the settings for the Wireless Network Adapter:
- As in the previous step, go to Device Manager and right click your Wireless Network Adapter and select Properties
- Here click the Advanced tab.
- From the Property list you need to change the values in:

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz
- Change to 20 Mhz Only

Preferred Band
- Change to 2. Prefer 2.4GHz Band

Roaming Aggressiveness
Change to 1. Lowest

Wireless Mode
Change to 4. 802.11b/g

It is worth checking back after a Driver update or a Windows update to see that these settings have not reverted back to default.

Changing the Privacy settings on apps in Windows
- Press CTRL + Q again and type in “Privacy settings”
- Go through the whole list and either set to minimum or turn off completely.

Changing how Windows 10 updates your computer
Microsoft has changed the way your updates are delivered and done this by adding your computer to a Peer-to-Peer network. This means your computer works like a station that can send chunks of data to other computers when they download Windows updates.

- Press CTRL + Q again and type in “Windows update settings”
- Then click Advanced Options
- And Choose how updates are delivered
- In this window turn the settings OFF.
# 3
01 Aug 2016 05:10
I tried every thing. but im still having these issues. So much for connecting from Bangladesh.
# 4
01 Aug 2016 05:29
@druvanil ,

try to start a local urt server in your lan on another computer , and try to connect on it
in your case ( bangladesh ), i think it's a internet stability connexion problem .
# 5
01 Aug 2016 10:05
The problem in your case is most likely the far distance. If you play from Bangladesh there's a distance of roughly 7000km between you and the server.
Even if you had a fibre directly from your home to our data center in Frankfurt, without any routers in between, just a direct fibre. You would still have a ping of ~70. That's the physical limit of light in fibre for this distance.
Adding the overhead all the routers are causing you easily end up with a ping >150 like we commonly see from our distant players.

Unfortunately there's no way for us to fix this, but you can move closer to europe B)